Luz Marina Umaña from Briceño, Boyaca, Colombia
We aim to connect you with each artisan, their culture, their traditions, their family and their dreams!
Luz Marina is expert working with fique and crochet. She gives to our products the special colour combinations and a beautiful aesthetic sections.
Fique is derived from the native agave cactus This unique material is completely sustainable as the base of the plant lives for over 20 years and is left untouched in order to avoid deforestation. Using a craft dating back a thousand years to the Guane tribes, the fibres are combed, dyed with naturally extracted colours and then weaved into a coarse cloth, before the rugs are handwoven on a traditional loom.
From the agave selection to the finished product, each rug creates one day worth of work for their business. Your purchase provides financial security to these families, helps to preserve this ancestral technique for passing on to the next generation, and is environmentally friendly.
Product: Lamp shades, bags
Material: Fique fibres pulled from agave type cactuses, vegetable dyes
SHOP YOUR VALUES
Supporting Casa Bonita gives you...
- Power to positively impact the lives of 100’s of indigenous communities in Latin America
- Peace of mind that artisans are paid more than a fair price for their products
- Insight into our culture and how we are continuously working to keep traditions alive
- Knowledge that all our products are ethical, sustainable and cruelty free
- Good karma for supporting women both here in Australia and overseas
...and a colourful, unique and authentic experience when you visit our shop in Seddon!